Cortachy Castle sits on the River South Esk 3 miles north of Kirriemuir and guards the entrance to Glen Clova.
The first castle on this site was built around 1330 and was the property of the Stewart Earls of Strathearn.
In 1473, King James III granted the lands to Sir Walter Ogilvie, who extended the castle considerably. Legend has it that the Count of Ogilvy, annoyed at the insulance of a young drummer boy, stuffed the lad into a large drum and threw it from a castle turret.
To this day the boy still drums at midnight and puts on a special show prior to the death of any Ogilvie.
Ghost of Drummer Boy